What is SearchOhio?
SearchOhio is a group of public libraries in the State of Ohio whose catalogs are all linked together to allow easy sharing of materials between the members. This resource sharing allows you to get the materials you desire from the member libraries when our library does not have an available copy, quickly and cost effectively.
Items may also be requested from Ohio's college and university libraries that participate in OhioLINK.
Who are the Member Libraries?
Currently, there are twenty member libraries:
- Akron-Summit County Public Library
- Cuyahoga County Public Library
- Cuyahoga Falls Public Library
- Delaware County Public Library
- Greene County Public Library
- Mansfield/Richland County Public Library
- Mentor Public Library
- Portage Library Consortium (Kent Free Library, Portage County District Library, Reed Memorial Library)
- Rodman Public Library
- Stark Libraries in Consortium – SLIC (Louisville Public Library, Massillon Public Library, Stark County District Library)
- Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
- Wadsworth Public Library
- Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
- Westerville Public Library
- Westlake Porter Public Library
- Youngstown-Mahoning County Public Library
How Many Materials are Available?
Over 60 million volumes are listed in the central databases for SearchOhio and OhioLINK.
How Do Items Get Requested through SearchOhio?
Always search for the title you want through Rodman Public Library's WebPAC first. If Rodman doesn't own the title, click the SearchOhio button that appears at the top or bottom of the screen in the row of navigation buttons. Another button also appears in the search results next to the "Your entry would be here" statement. The search will be passed through to the central SearchOhio catalog.
The central catalog displays the search results. Select the title that you want and then click the "Request this title" link in the center of the page:
When asked for the library you are affiliated with, select Rodman PL from the drop-down list. The next steps are exactly like placing a hold in our catalog: enter your last name, enter your barcode number, and select a location for pickup. Once the "Submit" button is clicked, a confirmation message that the request has been placed will display.
If an item is not available through SearchOhio, an option is available to search the OhioLINK database and request items from them.
How Long Does it Take to Get Something?
After you place your request, it will take 5-10 days for the material to be ready for pickup. This includes retrieval and packing time at the owning library, transportation via our cargo service, and unpacking time at our library. Pickup of items at the Carnation Mall Branch will take an additional day.
Where Can I Pick Up My Request?
Items will be delivered for pickup at the Main Library or Carnation Mall Branch. The Library will notify you when your material is ready for pickup.
What Prevents a Request from Going Through?
A number of things can affect a request from being completed:
- You owe too much money or have a block on your account.
- Teachers, children, restricted patrons, and temporary/visitors are not allowed to borrow.
- Rodman Library has an available copy.
- A hold has been placed on the item at the owning library.
- All copies in the central catalog are checked out, missing, not requestable, etc. Only titles that have available items will be loaned.
How Long is the Loan Period?
- Books will circulate for 21 days
- DVDs, videos, and other media will circulate for 7 days
All items may be renewed 3 times unless another patron at the owning library wants the item. You may renew them online or by telephone as with any Rodman materials.
What are the Fines and Replacement Fees for SearchOhio Items?
- All items are charged $.50 per day for overdue items.
- The maximum overdue charge is $25.00. The replacement fee for lost or damaged items is $25.00.