Alliance Index  - Search the Alliance Index for obituary, marriage, and newspaper article citations from The Alliance Review
Alliance Memory  - Featuring sights, sounds, and recollections of the Alliance community, Alliance Memory offers over 3,000 images, interviews, and documents
Oral Histories of Alliance  - Audio interviews of Alliance residents conducted from the 1950s through 1990s and video interviews from 2006 to present
St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery Burials  - Search for individuals of the Catholic faith who were buried in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery in Alliance, Ohio from 1900 to present [This database is back online but still undergoing fine tuning. If you need further information on your search results, please contact the reference department  for assistance.]
The Alliance Genealogical Society  (TAGS) - Research families from the Alliance, Ohio area.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps - Sanborn Historic Maps are large scale street plans produced by the Sanborn Fire Insurance company from 1867 to 1970.
Ancestry Library Edition  - One of the most comprehensive genealogy databases available. This database is NOT available for home access. Please come to the Main Library or Branch for access.
Fold3  - Fold3 provides convenient access to US military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served. This database also provides census and naturalization records as well as a number of city directories from across the nation.
HeritageQuest Online  - This database offers access to Census images, Revolutionary War records, genealogy books, and more. Rodman Library card required for home access.
Stark County Resources:
Newspaper Indexes to Obituaries in Northeast Ohio:
More genealogical sources can be found on our Additional Sites for Genealogists  page.
Chronicling America 
Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet  - Cyndi's List has been a trusted genealogy research site for more than 15 years. Cyndi's List is free for everyone to use and it is meant to be your starting point when researching online.
Ellis Island  - Search for your ancestors who arrived in the New World through Ellis Island.
Family Search  - (Ohio Death Certificates 1908-1953)
Find A Grave 
GenForum  - Search genealogy online discussion groups.
Immigrant Ships  - Over 12,000 passenger manifests which have been transcribed by dedicated volunteers.
Maggie's World of Courthouse Dust & Genealogy Fever  - Information and links to many Ohio-specific sources.
Military Rosters 
My Heritage  - Share your family tree and photos.
The National Archives  - Search census records, military service and pension records, immigration and naturalization records, and land records.
Ohio Genealogical Society  - Contains links to Ohio Genealogical Society projects, events, and publications.
Ohio History Connection  - Records of and how to get information on births and deaths, census, land entry, marriages, naturalization, and other materials. The Society will take off-site reference requests. (Formerly known as Ohio Historical Society)
More genealogical sources can be found on our Genealogy & Local History  page.
This special area in the library contains original materials and clippings related to Alliance and its surrounding area. History and Genealogy are featured in books, pamphlets, brochures, magazines, newsletters, photographs, and memorabilia.
It is also home to the Alliance Authors book collection, yearbooks from area schools, and Alliance city directories dating from 1876. Also available are rosters of Ohio enlisted men from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, and DAR records.
Microfilm of the Alliance Review from 1871 to the present and census information can be used in the Reference area.
Please see the Reference Department staff for access to Alliance Room materials.
2010 US Census Data
100-PERCENT COUNT OF PERSONS Universe: Persons Total 22,322
FAMILIES Universe: Families Total 5,232
HOUSEHOLDS Universe: Households Total 8,631
SEX Universe: Persons Male 10,690 Female 11,632
RACE Universe: Persons White 18,895 Black 2,333 American Indian and Alaska Native alone 38 Asian alone 180 Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander alone 4 Some other race alone 116 Two or more races 768
100-PERCENT COUNT OF PERSONS Universe: Persons Total 23253
FAMILIES Universe: Families Total 5668
HOUSEHOLDS Universe: Households Total 8908
SEX Universe: Persons Male 10851 Female 12402
RACE Universe: Persons White 19884 Black 2602 American Indian and Alaska Native alone 39 Asian alone 180 Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander alone 4 Some other race alone 96 Two or more races 448
From the City Engineer's Office Report:
Medium height at Public Square 1,005.35 ft., above Milton St, add 230.34 ft. =1,235.69 ft.
Lowest point at Water Works Subtract 40.14 ft.
Latitude--41 40 55' Longitude--81 81 06'
Acres 29001.4 Square Miles 4.7888 Sea Level 1070
Highest Point Highest point is Western Ave about 365 ft. north of State Street,
1265 1/2 feet above sea level (Hillcrest) (8/31/72)
The City of Alliance was formed in 1850 with the merging of the three small communities of Williamsport, Liberty, and Freedom. Four years later in 1854, the village incorporated as Alliance. In 1889, the Village of Mount Union was annexed into Alliance.
Two major railroad lines intersected in Alliance, once known as "The Crossing". This is another popular interpretation of how the city was named. Alliance is often referred to as the town where Main Street is a dead-end. The fact is that when Main Street was platted, it brought people to the train station which was the heart of the city's transportation hub. The railroads were central to industry and personal transportation, bringing in raw materials for factories and sending out finished goods.
The Ohio General Assembly officially proclaimed Alliance the Carnation City
April 1, 1959
These sites are listed in the National Register of Historic Places database 
Alliance Clay Product Company
1500 S. Mahoning Ave.
Alliance Bank Building
502 E. Main St.
Eagles Building--Strand Theater
243 E. Main St.
840 N. Park Ave.
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Alliance, Ohio (Christ United Methodist Church)
470 E. Broadway St.
1025 S. Union Ave.
186 W. Market St.
Mount Union College District
Hartshorn St., Miller and Aultman Aves.
Robert A. & Elizabeth H. Purcell House
2700 Fairway Lane
Science Hill School
11810 Beeson St.
Alliance Local Landmarks are designated by a nomination process overseen by the Alliance Historic Preservation Commission . A list of Alliance's growing number of historic properties and details on the Commission's work are available on the City of Alliance's website .
Alliance Historical Society
P. O. Box 2044
Alliance, OH 44601
How can I contact with The Alliance Genealogical Society?
P.O. Box 3630
Alliance, OH 44601
The history of Glamorgan Castle is maintained on the Alliance City Schools website .
YMCA, YWCA, Salvation Army, and the Alliance Senior Center
Rodman Public Library, Alliance AAA and various law offices
U.S. Post Office
36 S. Arch Avenue
2322 S. Union Avenue
Stark County Clerk of Courts
513 E. Main Street
Thousands of years ago, it is believed that the area of Alliance was occupied by the Hopewell Native Americans. The Hopewells were mound builders and relied on agriculture as a means of survival.
Hopewell mounds have been discovered along the banks of the Mahoning River, and the disappearance of the Hopewell from the area is a disputed issue.
Born from the merging of three tiny communities, the city of Alliance was incorporated in 1889. In 1827, Williams Teeters founded the area’s first community, Williamsport. The former area of Williamsport was north of the Mahoning River and now comprises the northern tip of Alliance.
Eleven years later, Mathias Hester founded the second community, Freedom, in the area which is now the central section of Alliance. Freedom was bounded to the north by Vine Street, to the east by Walnut Avenue, to the south by Wayne Street, and to the West by Union Avenue.
In 1850, Liberty, the third community was founded between Mechanic Avenue and Front Street, along with what is now East Main Street. The community of Liberty developed around the two railroads, Cleveland & Wellsville and Ohio & Pennsylvania, which arrived in 1850 and 1851, respectfully.
In 1854, Williamsport, Liberty and Freedom merged to form the village of Alliance. The name Alliance was first introduced by Gen. J. S. Robinson in 1850. Robinson referred to the intersection of the Cleveland & Wellsville and Ohio & Pennsylvania railroads as Alliance.
In 1889, Alliance was incorporated as a city. Two years later, Mount Union Village, which was founded in 1824, was annexed to Alliance.
Many famous people have passed through Alliance over the years, including Abraham Lincoln, who visited just before his inauguration. In 1867, Civil War generals Grant, Sherman and Sheridan stopped at the Sourbeck Dining Hall at the Union Depot Station.
President-to-be William McKinley made his first political speech at Henry Martin’s wagon stop in Mount Union during his campaign for prosecuting attorney. James A. Garfield, the 20th president, frequently spoke at the old College Hall in Mount Union.
The oldest building in Alliance is the Rockhill Home, built in 1817. It is located north of Wayne Avenue and west of North Lincoln Avenue.
The Haines Home, at the corner of Market and Haines, was an integral part of the Underground Railroad. (Editor’s note: Information was taken from “The Alliance Story ,” by Robert Dowling, “The Stark County Story ,” by Edward Thorton Heald, and the “Alliance Centennial Souvenir Book : Program of Events, Aug. 27 to Sept. 2, 1950.”)
How the scarlet carnation became Ohio’s state flower is rooted in Alliance.
In 1886, local green thumb and politician Dr. Levi Lamborn propagated the flower from French seedlings, calling it “Lamborn Red.”
Opposing William McKinley for the 18th Congressional District a year later, Lamborn presented the future president with a Lamborn Red boutonniere before each debate. As McKinley’s political star rose, he spoke of the scarlet carnation as a good-luck charm. When he became president, he began wearing one at all times and presenting flowers from a bouquet on his desk to guests.
On Sept. 14, 1901, moments after removing the flower from his lapel and giving it to young admirer at the Buffalo Exposition, McKinley was killed by an assassin’s bullet.
Following years of lobbying by Lamborn, the Ohio General Assembly passed a joint resolution naming the scarlet carnation the state flower on Feb. 3, 1904. On April 8, 1959, the Ohio Legislature recognized Alliance as the Carnation City.”
Alliance native Brinton Turkle gave many programs at Rodman Public Library over the years.
The author and illustrator of many children's books, his book Thy Friend, Obadiah  won a Caldecott Medal of Honor in 1970.
One of Alliance's most enduring landmarks is Glamorgan Castle. This page offers an overview of the castle and information on tours. For further details on the history of the Castle , visit the Alliance City Schools Web Site. Pictures of the Castle through the years are available on the Alliance Memory  web site.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places , the structure was commissioned by Col. William Henry Morgan, the president and principal owner of the Morgan Engineering Co. , who named it for his father's birthplace in Wales.
Morgan was a Renaissance man not known for doing things on a small scale.
After securing a 50-acre plot of land, Morgan enlisted the services of architect Willard Hirsh, whom he sent to Europe to study and draw up plans. Construction began in 1904.
Although the Morgan family moved into the three-floor structure a year later, work was not completed until 1909. The total cost was $400,000.
Built from 100 tons of structural steel and 96 train-car loads of Vermont marble, with walls above ground a minimum of 13 inches thick, Glamorgan boasted the strength and security of castle of old.
But unlike those structures, which were often cold and dark, Glamorgan featured many modern comforts, including bowling alleys, a billiard room and a large swimming pool in the basement.
Upstairs, the castle's rooms were decorated in a variety of styles, including Italian Renaissance, French Empire, Louis XV, Elizabethan and Japanese.
Behind the castle was a farm, which included a house, a barn and a carriage shed.
The garage, which is now an apartment building, was built in 1910.
The Morgan family's staff included a butler, upstairs and downstairs maids, a gardener and a chauffeur.
In 1939 - 11 years after Col. Morgan's death - the Elks Lodge purchased the home and approximately 50 acres of land for $25,000.
Twenty-five years later, the property changed hands again, when the Alliance Machine Co. purchased it and initiated an extensive restoration, transforming the castle into the company's international headquarters.
Armed with a $774,350 preservation grant, Alliance City Schools purchased the castle and 20 1/2 acres of land in 1973. Today, the building houses the school district's central administrative offices.
Glamorgan Castle is open for tours at 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Fridays throughout the year. Group tours are available by appointment. Call 330-821-2100 for details.
In 1973, the Library's summer reading program offered children a tour of historic Alliance, Ohio. For each book that the child read, he or she was rewarded with one of the following historical sheets.
Mount Union College was founded as a subscription school in 1846 by the Reverend Orville Nelson Hartshorn. The first class session was held with just six students in a room on the third floor of the Old Carding Mill. The pupils sat on handmade benches at crude desks. After the school was chartered in 1858, as Mount Union College, the founders decided to construct a more prestigious building in which to operate the growing school. The Main Building, as it was first called, was later named in honor of Ira O. Chapman, who was a professor at the college during the first quarter of its existence. Men who were able to donate their labor during the busy Civil War days completed Chapman Hall in 1864. At that time it was one of the finest college buildings in the state. It is the oldest building still standing on the Mount Union College campus, and is one of the oldest buildings in Alliance.
Through the years it was used for classrooms, faculty offices, the library (until 1950), and as a museum and observatory. By 1964, when it was one hundred years old, Chapman Hall required extensive structural changes in order to continue to be suitable for college use. After much consideration it was decided to remodel and preserve the structure.
The remodeling job was finished in 1967, and now Chapman Hall stands ready to serve for at least another century. If you should be in the vicinity of the college and hear bells chiming, those bells are in the north tower of Chapman Hall. They are rung every fifteen minutes and on special occasions. Even with the addition of many other attractive buildings, Chapman Hall has remained the heart of the college's beautiful campus, where now approximately 1,200 students attend classes.
Alliance gave Ohio its official state flower, the scarlet carnation. In 1866, an Alliance doctor, Levi L. Lamborn, purchased six potted carnation plants. At that time there were very few of the flowers being cultivated in the United States. Dr. Lamborn, who loved flowers, intended to grow the rare carnations in the greenhouse that adjoined his house on the northwest corner of Main Street and Union Avenue.
In addition to his medical practice and his flower raising, the doctor had an interest in politics. In 1876 he ran against Mr. William McKinley for the Congressional seat from this district. Although the two men differed politically, they were personal friends. Since Mr. McKinley had expressed his admiration for the lovely flowers, Dr. Lamborn always presented him with a carnation for his lapel before their political debates. Mr. McKinley won the election to Congress and associated the carnation with his success. As he went on to become Governor of Ohio and then President of the United States, he wore the flower during his political campaigns.
In 1904, three years after President McKinley's assassination and 20 years after Dr. Lamborn had first made the suggestion that the flower be made a state emblem, the Ohio General Assembly voted to make the scarlet carnation the official state flower as a "token of love and reverence to the memory of William McKinley." Every year on President McKinley's birthday, January 29th, a bouquet of red carnations is put into the carved hands of his lifelike statue in front of the Capitol in Columbus.
In 1959, the General Assembly named Alliance the "Carnation City". Since 1960 the annual Carnation Festival  has been held in Alliance during the month of August. It is a busy and exciting 10 days during which Alliance is remembered as the birthplace of Ohio's scarlet carnation.
Attending class in the very first schools in Stark County was much different from going to school today. Students wrote with goose quill pens, and used ink made from the bark of walnut trees. Sometimes school was open only three or four months of the year.
Marlboro, Lexington, and Washington Townships all had schools before 1820. The school established in 1809, and supported by the Quakers in the village of Lexington, was probably the first school in Stark County. The first classes taught within the present city limits of Alliance were held in a cabin on land owned by Clement Rockhill near what is now the west end of Wayne Street. Eight years later, in 1828, a schoolhouse was built in Williamsport.
In 1838 a one room brick school was erected in the village of Freedom at the north end of First Street. This structure, now a house, is the oldest remaining school building in Alliance.
By 1857 there were too many children attending classes to all fit in the one room building, so a two story, six room school was built on the southeast corner of what are now North Park and Washington Streets. It was called the Alliance Union School, and was the first public school built in what later became the city of Alliance.
By the turn of the century the city had grown considerably in size, and an attempt was made to construct a grade school in each ward. Today Alliance can be proud of its school system which serves more than 6,000 students. The newest building, the Alliance High School, is one of the most modern and attractively furnished schools in the state.
Almost five years were required to complete Alliance's most magnificent residence, Glamorgan . Colonel William Henry Morgan, who succeeded his father as president of the Morgan Engineering Company, began to build his home in the summer of 1903. Because of his Welsh heritage the design of the building was similar to that of a Welsh castle. The outside walls, which were three and one half feet thick at the bottom, took 96 carloads of Vermont marble to construct. Of the nearly 50 rooms inside, many were decorated with molded plaster, rich hand carved woodwork, beautiful inlaid floors, and silk tapestries.
A magnificent pipe organ, one of the attractions at the 1904 St. Louis Exposition, was brought to the castle at the close of the Exposition. Unfortunately, it was badly damaged in the fire which destroyed part of the structure on September 26, 1945, and had to be removed.
Unlike the dark, cold medieval castles after which it was patterned, Glamorgan was filled with the most up to date conveniences. It had its own electric power plant to supply electricity for lighting, steam boilers for heating, a built in vacuum system for sweeping, an elevator, and a system of telephones which connected the many rooms of the house.
The land in front of the mansion had once been the area from which clay had been taken to make the bricks for many of the early Alliance buildings. Among them were the Opera House, the Hester block in Freedom, and part of the Haines House.
Colonel Morgan died in 1928. His widow continued to live in the castle for ten more years, at which time she sold the property to the Alliance Elks Lodge. The Lodge members used it until 1965 when it was sold to the Alliance Machine Company. In 1972 Glamorgan was included in the National Park Service's Register of Historical Places. It was recently acquired by the Alliance Board of Education and will probably be remodeled and used for school offices.
[See Alliance Memory  for more photos of Glamorgan through the years.]
John Grant, one of the first settlers of the village of Lexington in Stark County, purchased a grant of land of 160 acres in 1812. He moved from Lexington to claim his land, which was bounded by the present Norfolk-Southern Railroad tracks, Union Avenue, Cambridge Street, and Rockhill Avenue. In 1842 he completed a beautiful brick house. Ten years later his son-in-law, Jonathan Ridgeway Haines, acquired the home.
It was probably shortly thereafter that Mr. Haines, a Quaker and dedicated abolitionist, became an "agent" on the underground railroad. This "railroad" had been in operation since the late 1830s. It had "conductors", "agents", and "stations", but no tracks or locomotives. It was a secret network of homes whose owners wanted to help slaves who had escaped from their Southern masters reach freedom in the North.
Many slaves spent the daylight hours hidden in a tiny room above the Haines kitchen waiting until they could be hurried along through the darkness to the next "station". From Alliance they were taken through either Marlboro or Limaville to Randolph in Portage County and then north to safety.
Sara Grant Haines joined her husband in these activities. They were also very interested in the efforts to give women the right to vote, and in the crusade to ban the use of liquor.
Mr. and Mrs. Haines had six children. Their oldest son, John Columbus, a talented musician, left home as a teenager to join the Union Army in the Civil War. When he returned in 1865 he re-organized the Alliance City Band.
For about half a century the front yard of the house extended all the way to Main Street, but in the early 1890s the ground immediately surrounding it was subdivided into building lots for other houses, and new streets were added. Today the house is located on Market Street and is owned by the Alliance Area Preservation Society as a museum of local history and community center.
Read more about Haines House on their web site: www.haineshouse.org 
Text revised by Haines House historian Robb Hyde, November 3, 2003.
The Mabel Hartzell Museum , at the corner of North Park Avenue and Vine Street, was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Earley. The bricks to build this large house were manufactured nearby. There were marble fireplaces in seven rooms and marble shelves on both the lovely mirrors in the parlor. When it was built in 1867 it was one of the nicest homes in Alliance.
Mabel Hartzell was just eight years old when her mother died in 1884. She came to Alliance to live with the Earleys. When the Earleys died years later they willed the house to their adopted daughter, Mabel.
Miss Hartzell, who loved history and people, taught for 30 years and was an esteemed educator in the Alliance Public School System. When she died in 1954, she willed her home to the Alliance Historical Society  for use as a museum. She wanted a place in the city where its citizens could go to see the things that would help them better understand how people lived in earlier days. Other persons liked this idea also, and donated some of their antiques.
Among the many items displayed in the museum are an unusual desk made in 1875, an old time parlor organ, an ember pot which was used to carry hot coals from one fireplace to start a fire in another, kitchen utensils, china, furniture, clothing, pictures, the red and brown hand crocheted coat and plaid dress Mabel wore the day she arrived to live in the house, and a letter written by Abraham Lincoln.
The Mabel Hartzell Museum, operated by the Alliance Historical Society, is open to the public during the annual Carnation Festival. Appointments can be made to tour the facility at other times during the year. Admission is by a $3 donation and residents of the area are encouraged to help support the museum through their donations.
Once, there was no city of Alliance. There were no homes here, no streets, no businesses, no schools. There were only fields and forests where wild animals roamed. Then the pioneers came and established settlements. Three of the tiny villages which sprang up were Williamsport, founded in 1827; Freedom, founded in 1838; and Alliance (sometimes called Liberty), founded in 1850.
About this time railroads were being built across the United States. Two of these companies, the Cleveland and Wellsville Railroad (later called the Cleveland and Pittsburgh), and the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad (later known as the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne and Chicago) laid tracks which crossed in the village of Alliance. In fact the site had been named Alliance in anticipation of the union of the two railroad companies there. The railroad industry brought prosperity to the nearby communities. The villages grew so much that soon their boundaries were very close to each other. In 1854 the townspeople decided to incorporate the three small villages into one larger one called "Alliance". The population of the new village was less than 1,000.
In 1888 the village of Mount Union became a part of Alliance, giving the combined area a population of 7,607. The following year, 1889, Alliance was incorporated as a city.
As Alliance grew so did its industries. Today products made here can be found throughout the world. They include traveling cranes, mill machinery, drop forgings, bricks, bathroom fixtures, coated abrasives, metal stampings, electric motors, paint, pottery, and rubber bands. Since the city is also located in the center of a rich agricultural area, it is a fine place in which its nearly 27,000 citizens can live, work, and play.
In the early 1800s the Mahoning River was larger than it is today. Expecting the river to be widened and dredged in parts to permit commercial shipping, two Quakers from Virginia, Amos Holloway and Nathan Gaskill, platted the town of Lexington on its banks in 1807. Soon John Grant, Zaccheus Stanton, Jesse Feltz and others joined them, but their dreams of a great shipping center never materialized. The town today is little larger than it was a century and a half ago.
For the very early settlers in the township survival meant hard work. They had to build log cabins for shelter, clear the forests to make space for crops, and protect themselves from wild animals. If they wanted clothing not made of animal skins, they had to grow flax to make linen, or raise sheep for wool. In order to have their wheat ground into flour, they had to carry the grain all the way to the Ohio River--a three day trip! In 1818 a mill was constructed on the Mahoning River near the present city water works. For more than 80 years there was a mill on the site that either sawed lumber for new buildings, or ground grain for food. For most of the last 15 years of its existence it was a flour mill operated by two black men, John and Ed Cyrus.
In 1827 Williamsport became the next village to be recorded in Lexington Township. It was established by William and Martha Teeters on the north side of the Mahoning between what are now Beech and Gaskill Streets.
David Holloway founded Lima in 1830. The name was later changed to Limaville, probably because the railroads did not want the confusion of two Ohio stations with the same name. During the last part of the century the town supported a number of mills and industries, but these gradually went out of existence.
When it was recorded in 1833, half of the village of Mount Union was in Lexington Township. Mathias Hester platted the town of Freedom in 1838 and the original Alliance (sometimes called Liberty) in 1850. These three towns, along with Williamsport, later became the city of Alliance.
In the Fall of 1805, Abraham Wileman and his son, Mahlon, traveled from Columbiana County to build a log cabin in section one of what is now Marlboro Township. When the cabin was completed, Mr. Wileman returned to his home, leaving Mahlon to spend the winter alone. He lived a difficult life as the township's first permanent settler. The following spring his father brought the rest of the family to the area, and they started another farm in section 23. (The map, which shows the locations of their land, is from one drawn of Stark County in 1840.)
The land in Marlboro Township was included as a part of Lexington Township when the latter was organized in 1816. In 1821, the Stark County Commissioners divided the large area and created two separate townships, Lexington and Marlborough (later spelled Marlboro).
In 1827, William and Moses Pennock, Samuel Ellison, and Dewey Johnson had land they owned surveyed and had a plat drawn. (A plat is a diagram of the lots and streets.) The plat was then recorded as the town of Marlborough in the books at the Court House in Canton.
New Baltimore, developed on land first owned by Levi Haines, became the township's second village in 1831. A log tavern was constructed which later was an important stagecoach stop. The frame building which replaced it is still standing on the southeast corner of the square and is now being restored.
When it was first seen by the early pioneers, about one fourth of Marlboro Township was under water. Drainage systems were developed to make more land tillable, but even in the 1880's, the vast peat beds were considered useless. Around the turn of the century Mr. F. P. Keener looked at the western swamps and decided that celery could be made to grow there. To him is given the credit for beginning the area's famous vegetable industry.
The Public Square did not always look as it does today. At one time it was paved with cobblestones and was lined with hitching posts to which farmers tied their horses when they came to town to shop. There was a well in the center of the Square with a tin cup for anyone who cared to drink.
One of the major changes in the appearance of the Square took place in 1924. Prior to that year there was a monument, topped with an eagle, dedicated to the memory of the men who had died in the Civil War. Plans had been made to replace the eagle with a statue of Abraham Lincoln -- a likeness as he appeared after he had signed the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves. Before the day arrived for the dedication of the new statue, veterans of the Spanish American War and World War I decided that they would like to erect statues honoring the men who gave their lives in those wars. The Civil War veterans postponed their plans until appropriate figures could be made for the other two memorials. All three bronze figures were made by a company in Cleveland, while the granite bases were mad in Alliance. The total cost of the three monuments was approximately $16,000.
On the Fourth of July 1924 there was a big parade, after which veterans and townspeople alike gathered at the Public Square for the dedication of the memorials. The statues were draped with flags. As a band played patriotic music, the statues were unveiled.
After World War II a cement memorial was erected listing the names of those soldiers who died in the conflict. The Korean War veterans later placed a bronze plaque on the Square honoring their fallen comrades.
Alliance is very fortunate to have one of the finest libraries of any city its size. Until 1886, however, there were no public or school libraries in Alliance. That year the Superintendent of Schools collected 70 books from different sources and kept them in his office for students to use. Soon a bookcase was donated, more books were purchased, and the collection of 610 volumes was moved into a room in the High School. The truant officer acted as librarian for a few years until a librarian was hired. The library was open to the public several days a week. People continued to give gifts of books and money, and eventually this room in the High School became known as the Alliance Public Library.
In 1899 members of the Board of Education saw the need for a separate building and decided to ask Andrew Carnegie for a donation. Mr. Carnegie pledged $25,000 toward the construction of a library building. Located at the corner of Arch and High Streets, the Carnegie Free Library was dedicated on September 6, 1904. It contained 7,500 books.
Improvements were made in the library's services. A separate children's department was organized in 1926. In 1938 one of our country's first trailer branches was started in Alliance. It was the beginning of the bookmobile service. The late 1940s saw the start of the audio-visual department with the circulating collection of films, filmstrips, and slides.
The single most important event in the history of the library was the opening of the new $660,000 Rodman Public Library on January 21, 1963. This big, beautiful new building was possible because of the generosity of an Alliance man, Mr. C. J. Rodman, who offered $250,000 toward a new library if the citizens would match his gift. The community more than doubled the amount, and the new facility, which now contains 156,000 volumes, became a reality. In 1972 a new addition to the Children's Room doubled the floor space, seating, and shelving capacity, and provided the children of Alliance with a beautiful place to enjoy reading.
Alliance owes its existence and early prosperity to the railroads. It was because of the anticipated rail linkage with important cities to the east and west that such people as Elisha Teeters, Matthias Hester, Simeion Jennings, and Isaac and Anna Webb purchased land near the newly acquired railroad right of way and began to develop it. The first railroad to reach Alliance was the Cleveland and Wellsville. Amidst much celebration the first locomotive steamed into the village of Freedom on July 4, 1851. Soon the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad was also running to the village.
On May 12, 1852 Colonel Daniel Sourbeck arrived from Pennsylvania to take charge of the hotel that had been built on the north side of the intersection of the two tracks. One of the worst disasters in the city's history occurred at the crossing in front of the hotel on December 6, 1856. In spite of the fact that the city council had ruled that locomotives could go no faster than six miles per hour through the area, a speeding locomotive collided at the intersection of the tracks with another train. One of the cars smashed into the hotel, and a number of people waiting for the trains to pass were killed. The grave of one of the victims, John McIntyre, can still be seen in the old United Brethren Church cemetery on River Street.
The newly elected President, Abraham Lincoln, dined at the hotel on his way to his inauguration in 1861. A monument was erected near the spot where he gave a brief speech.
The first building burned in 1863, and a brick building was constructed to replace it. The new structure was officially known as the Sourbeck House and served as a combination hotel, depot, and restaurant. Travelers came from hundreds of miles to enjoy its famous food and hospitality. The three Union Army Generals; Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan are said to have enjoyed one of Mr. Sourbeck's meals in 1867.
Today there is nothing left of the old buildings, but Alliance's industry is still dependent upon the railroads for the crucial transportation of raw materials and finished products.
In the days before television, radio, and movie theaters, people relied upon live state performances for their entertainment. Constructed in 1868 by Mr. Emor Crew, the Opera House was another of the buildings made of brick from the clay banks in what is now the front yard of Glamorgan Castle. It stood on the northeast corner of Main and Seneca Streets. Alliance families climbed to the third floor of the building to see the plays that were presented. Businesses occupied the storefronts on the first floor, and offices filled the second story.
Unfortunately, the building had some serious structural faults. When Mr. Charles Marchand purchased it in 1877 he made extensive repairs, but the building was still not considered to be absolutely sound.
About 4:30 on the afternoon of June 2, 1886, disaster struck. The east wall of the Opera House cracked, the north wall gave way, and the roof collapsed. Fortunately, the people inside the building realized what was happening, and everyone escaped safely. In spite of the fact that he was over 70 years of age, Mr. Harvey Laughlin who had been mayor of the city three terms, managed to rush from his second floor law office and make it safely to the street as the bricks tumbled down around him.
The building immediately to the east of the Opera House was also demolished in the collapse. Most of the merchandise in the main floor stores was lost, and several railroad cars on the tracks in back were severely damaged.
Mr. Marchand had the west half of the structure rebuilt, and it continued to be used for stores and offices. In 1971, while workmen were remodeling part of the building, another collapse occurred. Once again everyone inside got out safely, but the remaining parts of the original second story had to be torn down. Now it is no longer recognizable as Alliance's once famous Opera House.
Although no record of Washington Township's very first settlers has survived, one of the earliest known residents was Ezekiel Marsh, who probably came to the area before 1810. When other families moved into the township, it is said that Mr. Marsh permitted his cabin to be used as one of the first schools.
The first village to be platted and recorded was Mount Union, the southern half of which was in Washington Township. The northern portion was within the boundaries of Lexington Township. The village was established at the intersection of the important roads between the towns of Canton and Salem, and between Lexington and Carrollton, by Ellis and Job Johnson, Richard Fawcett, and John Hare in 1833.
Early in 1842 Isidore Carrillon founded the town of Freeburg on the Thomas Road. At one time the road had been an Indian trail. It was named for John Thomas. Farmers could take the road to Canton, and then travel to Massillon where their grain could be shipped on the Ohio Canal as far as the ports of Cleveland or Portsmouth.
In August of 1842 the town of Strasburgh was added to the number of recorded villages in Washington Township by Gregory Gross and Jacob Sardier. To avoid duplication with the town of the same name in Tuscarawas County, the post office in Strasburgh was named Maximo. By 1896 the village had adopted the name of its post office and is now called Maximo
A city's history comes from the many individuals who live and work in it. Since the 1950s, the library with the assistance of the Alliance Historical Society has worked to interview community members to record their reminiscences of events, locations, and people.
Photographs of individuals interviewed, complete transcripts, and recordings can also be found on Alliance Memory .
John W. Ament 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on January 21, 1977; president of Transue and Williams talks about Alliance and about forging companies.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on May 15, 1978; head cook of the Alliance Woman's Club for over fifty years reminisces about her past.
Virgil "Red" Artino 
Part 1 
Part 2 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on November 6, 2008; Alliance native discusses his Italian heritage, growing up in Goat Hill, World War II, Mount Union football, his teaching career and the future of Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on August 26, 1981; retired Mount Union College administrator talks about his life and about the college.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on April 30, 1975; local plumber, whose ancestors were among the first settlers in the Lexington area, discusses his life and Alliance history.
DeLoris Barret 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on December 19, 2008; longtime resident of Alliance talks about life in White Hollow after World War II, Union Avenue United Methodist Church and social groups of Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on May 17, 1976; Alliance businessman associated with Lindesmith's Hardware gives personal reminiscences and Main Street history.
John Benincasa 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on October 7, 2008; President of City Council discusses his life in local politics and thoughts on the City of Alliance.
Cathie Bixler 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on April 17, 2008; retired Rodman Public Library employee discusses her career as a data processor and bookmobile staff member.
Jessie Bowman 
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on May 19, 1975; Alliance resident, whose father was associated with the Allott Kryder Hardware Company, gives Alliance and family history.
William B. Bowman 
Recorded interview conducted by Louise Johnson on April 23, 1992; former Stark County Auditor discusses growing up in Alliance, politics, and music.
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on September 8, 2008; former Stark County Auditor talks about his career in politics and his active avocation in music.
Keith Brill 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on February 12, 2009; owner of Lingenfelter-Brill discusses the family business, which began in 1939, the fur trade and his family history.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on May 1, 1975; former employee of the Ohio Bell Company recalls early telephone service in the Alliance area.
Glenn Clark 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 10, 1977; retiring professor of mathematics talks about his life and experiences at Mount Union College.
Helen Codrea 
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on August 15, 1975; Romanian (Transylvanian) emigrant gives personal reminiscences.
Mary Lou Conroy 
 Recorded interview conducted by Lyle Crist in August 1986; granddaughter of Col. Morgan discusses life at Glamorgan Castle and the Morgan family.
Ronald Cross 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on October 22, 1977; Alliance resident related the history of some of the local theaters.
Anthony Dawson 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on March 19, 2009; retired restaurant owner talks about his family and his career in the restaurant and bar business.
Ray Diehl 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 8, 1977; retiring business professor recalls personal and Mount Union College memories.
Arthur Dimit 
Part 1 
Part 2 
Parts 1 & 2  Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on February 19, 1980; retired photographer talks about his life and about the photography business in Alliance.
Bert A. Dunbar
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on May 25, 1977; longtime resident talks about his early memories of Alliance, especially regarding the athletic history of the area.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on September 4, 1968; Alliance resident discusses the Alliance Historical Society and Alliance history.
Karl Fiegenschuh, Sr. 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on April 25, 1975; Alliance jeweler talks about his life and about Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on January 7, 1977; American Steel Foundries associate discusses industry and local politics in Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on October 18, 1973; brothers whose family has been associated with the Coca Cola Bottling Company discuss the early bottling industry in the Alliance area.
Arthur Garnes 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on November 18, 2008; retired Alliance Superintendent of Schools reflects on education in Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Richard L. Elliott on September 29, 1976; radio station manager relates the history of the Alliance radio station WFAH.
Part 1 
Parts 1 & 2 
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet M. Clem on February 20, 1980; retired Alliance Review editor recalls her life and career in Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on May 21, 1976; Safety Service Director of Alliance recalls Alliance history.
Marilyn Hahn Gobely 
Recorded interview conducted by Russell Newburn on June 3, 2008; Alliance resident discusses her lifelong career in music.
Gordon Harrison 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on September 30, 2008; retired owner of Alliance Hardware discusses Main Street businesses and running a family owned hardware store.
William Lincoln Hart
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on February 28, 1962; retired judge talks about the first six presidents of Mount Union College and also about himself.
Sidney C. Hartenstein
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on February 3, 1976; head of the Alliance Traffic Safety Council and the Alliance Disaster Service Agency discusses these organizations and relates his own personal memories.
Helen L. Hendershot
  
Recorded interview conducted by Dr. John E. Saffell on January 10, 1979; former president of the Alliance Education Association discusses her background and relationship with education in the Alliance area, as well as her activities in the Alliance Friends Christian Church.
History of the Alliance Woman's Club
  
Recorded discussion held on May 14, 1982, with an introduction by Mrs. Yost Osborne; several participants relate historical notes pertaining to the club.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on January 6, 1976; Alliance grocer gives recollections on Alliance history.
Russell E. "Duke" Iden 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on July 13, 1977; Taylorcraft and Alliance aviation history are recalled by this local resident.
Richard Jones 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on April 1, 2009; retired owner of Alliance Builder Supply discusses his business, schooling, and service organizations.
George H. Judd
 Part 1
Parts 1 & 2 
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on July 2, 1955; longtime Alliance resident recalls early Alliance and Mount Union history.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on December 11, 1973; wife of former Mount Union president Charles Ketcham discusses Mount Union College history.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 9, 1977; former Mount Union College student and later wife of Professor A. B. Kitzmiller recalls Mount Union history.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on September 24, 1975; Alliance druggist relates drugstore and pharmacy history of Alliance.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Alan Aldinger on August 5, 1977; Alliance High School coach and athletic director gives his background and career.
Allan Krash 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on February 26, 2009; lifelong Alliance resident discusses his Jewish heritage and career in the Stark County prosecutor's office.
Dr. J. Fred Lembright 
Recorded interview conducted by Dr. Christopher M. King on November 11, 1973; Alliance medical doctor recalls his life and practice.
Elvin Madison 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on March 5, 2010; Retired Alliance Machine employee talks about the Madison family coming to America, three generations of employees with the company, and many of the products constructed by Alliance Machine. Photographs of product installations in a narrated slideshow concludes the video interview.
Dave Mainwaring 
 Recorded interview conducted by Lyle Crist on June 2, 1995; former mayor of Alliance discusses his career in high school sports, politics and automotive associations.
Gloria Malone 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on March 30, 2009; retired educator discusses her teaching career in Alliance City Schools and Mount Union College and growing up in segregated Alliance.
Donald McKnight 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on May 21, 2010; Alliance native and former owner of Joel's Garage talks candidly about Main Street, service stations, and family.
William H. McMaster
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on September 16, 1960; former Mount Union College president relates his memories of the college.
William H. Morgan
Letter from William H. Morgan to Mrs. Harriet Clem dated June 1, 1982; the story of the olive poisoning at the Lakeside Country Club of Canton, which resulted in the illness and death of several prominent Alliance residents, is recounted.
William H. Morgan 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on January 9, 1976; Alliance resident, whose father and grandfather were associated with the Morgan Engineering Company, talks about his family and life at Glamorgan Castle.
William M. Morgan 
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 7, 1978; professor reminisces about his life and about Mount Union College.
Newell Yost Osborne 
Part 1 
Part 2 
Parts 1 & 2 
Recorded interview conducted by George W. S. Hays on November 17, 1978; Mount Union College librarian talks about his association with the college and the community.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 1, 1978; retiring biology professor recalls his experiences at Mount Union College.
Mary Frances Lindesmith Payne
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on February 4, 1976; woman whose family has been associated with Lindesmith's Hardware in Alliance talks about her family.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on August 6, 1975; Alliance restaurateur talks about Alliance history and about the Raven Restaurant.
John F. Peters 
Recorded interview conducted by Dick Elliott on December 16, 2009; Retired financial VP for Stifel Nicolaus (the former Butler Wick) and founder of the Greater Alliance Foundation recounts stories of businesses in Alliance.
Lewis Phelps 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on November 9, 2009; Mount Union College professor emeritus discusses his career in the music department, his life in Alliance, work with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and Calligraphy Alliance.
John J. Popa
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on September 8, 1976; longtime employee of American Steel Foundries recalls the steel industry in Alliance.
  
 Recorded interview conducted by Dr. John E. Saffell on February 12, 1975; Alliance teacher relates personal reminiscences.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on August 14, 1975; Italian-American Alliance resident discusses his family.
Rev. Ralph Reamsnyder
  
Recorded interview conducted Dr. George L. Cutton on August 29, 1977; pastor of Alliance Trinity Episcopal Church gives personal history and reminiscences.
William A. Rice
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 21, 1978; retired professor of geology reminisces about his life and about Mount Union College.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Professor Lyle M. Crist on May 23, 1963; local centenarian recalls her life in Alliance and at Mount Union College.
John E. Saffell 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on May 1, 2008; retired Mount Union College professor discusses his life in Alliance and his teaching career.
Mary Beth Schulze 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on August 21, 2008; Lifelong resident recalls her volunteer work with the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary, Girl Scouts, and Carnation City Players.
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 7, 1978; Mount Union alumna, and wife of Professor Joseph Scott, relates her thoughts on Mount Union College.
Walter W. Scott
  
Recorded interview conducted by Dr. George L. Cutton in December of 1978; former Alliance Service Director and building contractor reminisces about Alliance and about his career.
Sanford Slifkin 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on October 12, 2006; former Taylorcraft employee and test pilot discusses flying and the Taylorcraft company.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on February 27, 1975; commercial manager relates the history of the Alliance area telephone company.
James Sobotka 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on October 12, 2006; owner of Cornie's Steak House talks about running the family owned bar and restaurant.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Dr. John E. Saffell on March 25, 1976; Beloit native talks about his life and his experiences.
Robert Elihu Stauffer
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on December 11, 1973; retired librarian of Mount Union College recalls his life and career.
  
Recorded interview conducted by Richard L. Elliott on June 15, 1975; Alliance Review editor gives recollections on his career and on Alliance.
Frank K. Tanner
Part 1  
Part 2  
Part 3  
Recorded interview conducted by Harold J. Vogus on June 11, 1979; Alliance native discusses at length early Alliance and the Tanner family.
Willie C. Teague
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on October 13, 1975; New Zion Baptist Church pastor relates his career and personal experiences.
Mary L. Thompson
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on November 19, 1975; widow of black Alliance physician K. T. Thompson talks about her husband's career.
Robert Tolerton 
 (part 1)
 (part 2)
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on November 1, 2006 (part 1) and April 18, 2008 (part 2); lifelong Alliance resident discusses his family, Taylorcraft flying experience, and business ventures (Tolerton Lumber, The Ski Shack)
Barbara C. Turkle 
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on January 29, 1976; Alliance woman whose family is associated with the Cassaday and Turkle Funeral Home talks about her family and about the funeral business in Alliance.
Brinton Turkle 
Recorded interview conducted by Harriet F. Miller on August 28, 1975; Alliance native author and illustrator of children's books recalls his career.
Walter W. Webb
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on June 20, 1978; former professor and graduate of Mount Union College relates his family history and thoughts on his career.
George Weimer 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on March 12, 2009; Mount Union College and Alliance advocate tells stories about his great grandfather, his father's years at Mount Union College, his family and years living in Alliance.
WFAH FM Bicentennial Series of Broadcasts 
WFAH FM bicentennial series of broadcasts, Feb. 2 - Oct. 29, 1976 ; scripts written by Robert A. Gates.
WFAH AM Dedication
  
Recorded dedication from September 9, 1953; speakers include Arthur J. Hoiles, Donald A. Peterson, and Mayor Harley R. Ewing.
George M. Wilcoxon
Part 1 
Parts 1 & 2 
Recorded interview conducted by Alan Aldinger on August 10, 1977; Alliance football coach discusses his life and career.
Ruth Winner 
Recorded interview conducted by Joseph Zelasko, Jr. on September 22, 2009; Alliance resident and former City Treasurer looks back on her life, family, career and community service.
Robert Wise 
Recorded interview conducted by Karen Perone on September 2, 2009; retired Morgan Engineering employee talks about working for the company and describes the facilities and the types of cranes that were manufactured.
Edward Witherspoon 
Recorded interview conducted by Brice Glendening on June 11, 2009; Alliance native and automobile enthusiast reminisces about automobile garages and dealerships in Alliance.
Frank Woolf 
Recorded interview conducted by Forrest Barber on March 22, 2011; Alliance native talks about his time in World War II, working at Taylorcraft and Alliance Machine, his love of photography, and the many community groups with which he volunteers.
Elliott and Lillian Young
  
Recorded interview conducted by N. Yost Osborne on August 11, 1975; Alliance residents give personal reminiscences.
Requests for staff to copy library materials from the Alliance Index  including obituaries and other microfilm articles are one dollar ($1.00) per scanned or printed page, payable in advance. We will answer your letter as quickly as possible. Follow these easy steps to order articles you have found:
PLEASE NOTE: Any amount you send over the costs of your order will be treated as a donation to Rodman Public Library.
Use this form to search for individuals of the Catholic faith who were buried in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery in Alliance, Ohio from 1900 to present. Also included in the database are those individuals who had Catholic funeral services in Alliance, were buried elsewhere, or were cremated.
The database is supplied by Jim Gazia. Please contact St. Joseph's Catholic Church, 427 E. Broadway St., Alliance, OH 44601 (330-821-5760) if you have questions about this database.
You may also want to check the Alliance Index  for listings of obituaries, marriages, and news items from The Alliance Review that pertain to your individual.
Enter your search below.
Ohio’s official flower, the scarlet carnation, is rooted in Alliance.
In 1866, local green thumb and politician Dr. Levi Lamborn propagated the flower from French seedlings, calling it "Lamborn Red.”
Opposing William McKinley for the 18th Congressional District in 1876, Lamborn presented the future president with a “Lamborn Red’ boutonniere before each debate.
As McKinley’s political star rose, he spoke of the scarlet carnation as a good-luck charm. When he became president, he took to wearing one at all times and presenting flowers from a bouquet on his desk to guests.
On Sept. 14, 1901, moments after removing the flower from his lapel and giving it to a young admirer at the Buffalo Exposition, McKinley was killed by an assassin’s bullet.
Following years of lobbying by Lamborn, the Ohio General Assembly passed a joint resolution naming the scarlet carnation the state flower on February 3, 1904. On April 1, 1959, the Ohio Legislature recognized Alliance as the “Carnation City.”
The Carnation Festival  is Alliance's annual celebration of this historical flower.