1927 - Arcade Station Branch Opened
Librarian Howard B. Sohn reached his goal of locating a branch station in the downtown business area in 1927. The branch was located at the Lawn News Stand in the Spring-Holzwarth Arcade.
The collection consisted of approximately 600 adult books with 100 children's books added later. The space was rented monthly from the arcade. Service was provided to the public by the staff of the news stand during the week with service provided by library staff on Saturday afternoons and evenings.
As shown in the photo, the booth opened directly onto the arcade where it was convenient for shoppers to stop and easily check out books.
The Arcade Station proved a very good public relations vehicle since it offered library services to many who had not used the main Carnegie facility.